October 08 2018 – Benjamin Fuchs
Unlocking the Hidden Potential: Know The Remarkable Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid
While it’s all the rage these days in the world of skin care, pharmacists and other health care professionals have known about the multiple health benefits of hyaluronic acid (HA) including its relevance for wound healing, bone building and eye health for decades.
First discovered in 1936, the molecule named after the Greek word for glass (a nod to its transparent nature), it took until the 1960s for dermatologists to catch on to the incredible skin health properties of HA. By the 1990s the molecule has found its way into mainstream cosmetics and by 2010 it has become ubiquitous in the world of skin care.
Holistic Health Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid
These days you can find hyaluronic acid as an ingredient in various topical products including creams, masks, sprays and treatment gels.
Less recognized by skin care professionals and aficionados is the fact that hyaluronic acid is not just a great molecule for topical skin care. On the contrary, the benefits of this important bio-molecule can apply to almost every system in the body.
Fueling Your Body's HA Reserves
While your cells make their own HA, adding some to your diet can be helpful . You can find hyaluronic in foods such as organ meats, bone broth and eggs. Or, you can use hyaluronic acid capsules which are readily available in health food stores or on the internet. For best results take at least 100 to 200 mg a day or more to accelerate healing from trauma, skin peels or post -surgery.
Below are 8 important reasons to enjoy some salubrious hyaluronic acid every day…
8 Reasons You Need Hyaluronic Acid:
1. Skin Hydration and Elasticity: Humectant properties help restore skin hydration and elasticity.
Hyaluronic acid is produced by cells in the dermis where it traps water to maintain skin hydration. When applied topically that same water-trapping effect can be exploited to keep the stratum corneum (skin surface) flexible and plasticized.
2. Anti-Aging Shield: Antioxidant properties help slow down the signs of aging and protect from free radical damage. Hyaluronic acid has been shown to be an especially effective antioxidant for protection of skin lipids (fats). HA also improves the activity of other skin anti-oxidants such as glutathione and SOD (Superoxide Dismutase).
3. Accelerated Wound Healing: Speeds cell division and promotes the formation of healthy connective tissue. Use HA supplements before and after medical operations to accelerate post-surgical healing.
4. Joint Lubrication and Pain Relief: Water-trapping properties helps maintain joint moisture and flexibility, reducing pain and improving function.
5. Relieves Dry Eyes: Much of the internal structure of the eye is composed of Hyaluronic Acid where it traps water and helps maintain ocular hydration. Hyaluronic Acid taken internally and applied in topical drops can improve these water-trapping properties reducing the effects and discomfort of dry eyes.
6. Guardianship of Bone Strength: Hyaluronic acid stimulates synthesis of bone cells and helps maintain healthy bone protein and HAs anti-inflammatory effects improve bone cell regeneration.
7. Anti-Glycation Defender: HA protects against the damaging effects of sugar which is a major cause of age-related wrinkle formation and thinning skin. Supplementation may be particularly helpful for diabetics.
8.) Circulatory Vigor: This means Strengthening blood vessels and improving blood circulation. Hyaluronic acid is an important constituent of arteries and veins. It's magnetic properties also increase blood liquidity and improve circulation, which facilitates the delivery of nutrients and oxygen to all cells.